Friday, January 19, 2007

Give us this day our daily bread....

Our church services were canceled Sunday due to the weather. Our son's church canceled services, too, but then "un-canceled" them when conditions improved, so we went there instead. The pastor spoke about prayer and he mentioned the Lord's Prayer and praying for our daily bread... and for some reason that scripture just jumped out at me and ministered to me. So, during the prayer time, I prayed about our daily bread.

A few days later we were having our umpteeth grilled cheese sandwich lunch and the kids were talking about how much they missed the good bread, especially tomato bread (great for grilled cheese!) that we used to get from St. Louis Bread Company. A variety in bread makes daily grilled cheese more enjoyable!

We used to get the bread from the bread ministry, but they had to stop due to a shortage of volunteers. The woman who ran it was sweet enough to let me take a lot of the leftover bread the last few weeks, so my freezer was stocked with bread for quite a while after the ministry ended. But, anyway, "our daily bread" was on my mind for days, and it is funny how God seems to have used this opportunity to show me that He is still our Jehovah-Jireh.
  • We received generous grocery gift cards (one to Trader Joe's, which I love but haven't shopped at since the job loss!) and a real treat... a gift card to a nearby bread bakery.
  • Mark had a real estate meeting where they had door prizes and his name was drawn and he won a St. Louis Bread Company gift card.
  • Our son was at a friend's house rehearsing with his band and "the mom" sent a couple of nice loaves of homemade bread home with him.
We are set for our "daily bread" for a couple of weeks, I think! He is so good!

No comments: