Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Yet I will rejoice in the LORD!

I never would've guessed that God would use Habakkuk to encourage me. It just seems like a doom and gloom book. But, when I got to the very last section of chapter 3.... THIS:

Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

The Sovereign LORD is my strength,
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.


In "today's terms" Habakkuk is saying... the bank account may be empty, the pantry may not have any food, the labor may not produce any income.... yet I will rejoice in the Lord. I will find my joy in the Lord of my salvation. He makes me sure-footed in the rockiest of places... He is my strength.

I later read the first chapter of Oswald Chamber's biography. I won't go into the context for brevity's sale, but Chambers was quoted as saying, "I don't care what God DOES, it's what God IS that I care about." The writer went on to explain that God's actions can be very confusing, but God Himself never is.

It is just another reminder that I give circumstances way too much power in my life. I might even have to admit that sometimes I focus too much on what God does.

Sometimes I just need to sit and adore Him and nothing more.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting on my brothers picture :) I'll be back to read your blog!
Christelle

Anonymous said...

I love this last line you have;Sometimes I just need to sit and adore Him and nothing more.

Thanks for sharing! Have a blessed day! :)