Saturday, September 01, 2007

Seeing His Power

I was reading a beautiful sermon by John MacArthur today and although it is all terrific, I thought I'd share just a paragraph. It might minister to some of you as it has me. He was preaching on Philippians 4:13 "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

He (the Apostle Paul) found his contentment in the manifest strength of Christ that comes to the believer when he has exhausted his human resources. Now let me translate that into what I'm saying...contentment is a byproduct of distress. Contentment comes when you experience the sustaining power of Christ in those times when you have no human strength. To him who has no might, God increases strength. If you've never been there, maybe you've never experienced it. Paul says, "I'm content, I've seen the power of God." We should be praying, you know, for enough distress in our life, for enough difficulty in our life to cast us on Christ that we might see His power explode in our behalf and therein to be content.

We've definitely seen God's power explode in our behalf. Not only in meeting our physical needs, but ministering to us and pulling us close to Him so that we would grow stronger in our relationship with Him. I cannot imagine a better classroom for learning to trust God and to love Him better.


You can read the whole of the sermon here.

No comments: