Saturday, June 30, 2007

Moods Go By Kicking

Things have been so busy here I haven't done much "blogging". But, I thought I'd share a list of the many blessings God has provided us over the last few weeks, so that you can see -- just as we have -- that God does care for his children.

I know I will forget something, since I'm trying to recall several weeks.... but I'll do my best!

1) Someone bought a ticket to the Women of Faith conference here in St. Louis, but then couldn't go and gave it to me. I don't know who you are, but thank you from the bottom of my heart. I think the greatest benefit to me was just getting to laugh so much. I didn't realize until the conference just how long it had been since I'd had a good belly laugh. Also, the speakers were great and it truly reminded me once again that God can take any circumstance, no matter how terrible, and use it to His glory.

2) A couple of weeks ago we were getting low on food and were low on cash. My prayers were answered yet again. My parents came to watch my son's choir performance and brought a bunch of food. We also participated in Angel Food Ministries that week, where we got a lot of freezer items. Shop 'n Save ran their $10 off a $50 purchase and I shopped carefully and got everything on my "need" list... my total (before coupon) came to $50.03! :-) The cashier was impressed. My son bought some produce when he got paid. Our kitchen suddenly became well stocked and the food has stretched a long way!

3) We received an anonymous money gift (thank you!) some time ago.

4) We received a Trader Joe's gift card and a loaf of delicious pumpkin bread (thank you!).


Mark had an inspection on Monday but nothing else since then. We are learning just how slow the housing market is, and it is a huge blessing that Mark has gotten the few inspections that he has. Please continue to pray that God directs business our way.

The bad news is I had a bit of a minor car accident. Not much damage, but the truth is any added expense right now hurts and stresses me out. I was feeling low.

God's timing is impeccable, as I read this His Utmost for His Highest devotional shortly after:


"There are certain things we must not pray about - moods, for instance. Moods never go by praying, moods go by kicking. A mood nearly always has its seat in the physical condition, not in the moral. It is a continual effort not to listen to the moods which arise from a physical condition, never submit to them for a second. We have to take ourselves by the scruff of the neck and shake ourselves, and we will find that we can do what we said we could not. The curse with most of us is that we won't. The Christian life is one of incarnate spiritual pluck."


Most days I do well in not focusing on physical circumstances, but then something will happen to rock my boat and toss me into the sea of self-pity. I must learn to make liberal use of my "boot". :-)

No comments: