Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Stepping Up

I started Beth Moore's Stepping Up Bible study last week. I almost didn't do it... my intention was to find a Bible study that was close enough to walk to. It would eliminate the transportation troubles we tend to have (trying to avoid driving our tank of a van that cost $106 to fill last week, and coordinating schedules w/ a very busy son, and a husband whose schedule is never the same two days in a row). Not only that, it would force me to take a nice long walk once a week. However, the nearby church that I thought I'd go to wasn't having a study during the day. A friend of mine knew of a group of women who was doing Beth Moore's Stepping Up of a morning, and invited me. She even offered to pick me up. All that to say, I almost passed it up just because I couldn't walk to it... it didn't fit my perfect plan. But, I realized that the Psalmist and I have a lot in common and maybe this course would be the perfect fit in another way (the important way!).

I don't have time to really share all that the study is pouring into me right now, but I did want to quickly share one thing that really jumped out at me today when reading Psalm 121. This is it... and it may seem really too simple, but for me it was profound. The LORD is my helper, no one else. My husband is not my protector and provider, the LORD is. The LORD is my shelter, not my house. HE is everything I need and He is never going away.

In a warring world and a country with a struggling economy, perhaps this will be an encouragement to others, as well.

"...From whence shall my help come?
My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth."
Ps 121:1-2

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I began Beth Moore's Stepping Up study just this morning. I don't have a group to go through it with...doing it entirely on my own and listening to the audio online. It's nice to meet someone else on the same journey. I'm a stay-at-home mom to a precious 8 month old girl and I was feeling a little alone. :) I currently blog at notesfrommynest.blogspot.com but am contemplating starting a separate blog for the sole purpose of chronicalling my journey through this study...a place for others who are also on the journey to post comments, thoughts, etc...
I can be reached at notesfrommynest@gmail.com and would love to hear from you. Have a blessed week!

eph2810 said...

I am so thrilled that you have found a place to do the study. And attending it with a friend is the best thing.
Yes, the study is wonderful. The Psalms always have been a comfort to me. Especially the Psalms written by David.
Blessings to you and yours...

LynnSC said...

Oh, I am so glad that God provided a way for you to get into that study. Our church is actually starting that same one tonight... but I am already doing A Women's Heart with a small group in my home... so I didn't sign up. I will have to do that one later. What a powerful thought... God is our provider and our protector. It lets our husbands and families off the hook, huh??

Thanks so much for sharing. I can't wait to hear more.
Lynn

Anonymous said...

This is really good stuff. I, too, become forgetful that the Lord is all I need. I am looking for a Bible study to do at home, perhaps I'll try this one. Thanks for sharing!