Wednesday, May 07, 2008

One Thing Is Needed

A friend sent me a devotional a couple of weeks ago, and the topic came from the Mary and Martha story.

The writer talked about how startled Martha must have been when Jesus indicated she was the problem, not Mary. Martha appeared to be doing all the right things; she was busy at work and serving her special guest. But, the writer said, "The many concerns of Martha's ministry were causing anxiety and inner turmoil. Her desire to serve the Lord had deteriorated to self-pity and irritation."

I can see Martha in me sometimes. I feel torn in many directions, between working in the preschool ministry, facilitating a FPU class at church, coordinating and running the bread ministry, volunteering at the community clothing closet, babysitting my dear grandbaby, homeschooling, keeping up with the house, cooking from scratch to save money, helping Mark on the business (mostly developing a new web site for it), and more. I know all of these things are good, many are necessary, and many are ministry, but much too often these days, my quiet time with God gets pushed to the end of the day and/or to smaller snatches of time.

Just as Jesus called Martha to follow Mary's example, He calls me to do the same:

"But one thing is needed,
and Mary has chosen that good part,
which will not be taken away from her"

The writer concluded: "What an amazing truth: "one thing is needed." That one necessary matter is Jesus. Mary chose Jesus. She was at the feet of her master, getting to know Him, listening to His words of truth and grace.

This was also the apostle Paul's passion:

'one thing I do . .. that I may know Him.'"

Even if success in the business eventually comes, I have won nothing if I am missing the "one necessary thing". Even if the ministries I'm involved in function without a hitch, I am accomplishing nothing worthwhile without the one necessary thing in my own life. Activities and service, and even monetary success, are only good if we make Christ our one Object. Even the very good thing of being able to feed our family and pay our bills is worthless if I am missing the one necessary thing. If I make service my object, then I am only building up myself. If I make serving people my object, I will always be let down. But, if Christ, and only Christ, is my Object then I have put my focus in the right and certain place that will never fail.


Amen.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kelly:

This was a fabulous post. I think I fall into this rut too at times, seeing the faults of others and becoming irritated instead of feeling happy and grateful. This happens at work A LOT. I have a new plan to memorize some scriptures about this and recite them mentally when I feel those bad feelings coming on.

p.s. I'm so glad I found your blog. I found you through CWO.

LynnSC said...

I found your blog while I was searching out God's name "Jehovah-Jireh". It took me to a post that you had written on November 27, 2007. I was so glad to find it. I read your little part about your husband loosing his job and your choice to trust that God would make it a blessing...

Oh... I can so relate. Not to bore you with the details... but we are in a similar situation. A loss of income has forced us into the same struggle that you found yourself in. I haven't taken the time to read all of your entries yet, but I will. I have chosen to trust God in this time. Are there times that I still struggle with it?? Sure. BUT... I know enough about God's character to know that He will use this for our good and His glory. Its purpose is for our good and His glory.

Thanks so much for sharing this. I will be back to read more. Lynn