Monday, April 16, 2007

Sensitivity to God's Voice

Last week I allowed my mind to dwell (too much!) on concerns about how long it will take to begin making some money in our new business and, I admit, I was worrying. There have been so many needs in our home lately between clothing, illnesses, and various household needs.... I had to keep reminding myself that God had once assured us that He would not allow our flour and oil to become empty until the rains come again. Saturday, I was mopping the kitchen and thinking about the various things we needed and the "enemy" was attacking and putting fear and doubt in my mind as to whether the assurances had really come from God. I prayed about some needs and "reminded" the Lord about the situation. In God's fashion.... Sunday (the very next day), a woman walked up to me and said, "God laid it on my heart to give this to you." It was a lovely card with a money gift inside.

Again, I find myself marveling at how a person who walks closely with the Lord can hear His voice and just know what they need to do. And more amazingly, they just do it, rather than doubt it! Sometimes we tell ourselves to wait until we're sure.... until God writes it on the wall or bonks us on the head or something... but he rarely works that way. It reminds me of a beautiful passage I read the other day.... (yet again in the story of Elijah!)

11 And He (the Word of the Lord) said, Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord. And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind rent the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake;

12 And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire
[a sound of gentle stillness and] a still, small voice.

13 When Elijah heard the voice, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, there came a voice to him and said, What are you doing here, Elijah?

from: 1 Kings 19, Amplified Bible


We are blessed to have friends, family and church family who have responded to God's still, small voice in so many ways. I pray for the same sensitivity to God's voice in my own life. You all are an example to me in many ways!

.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly
What an encouragement to read how the Lord isworking in your lives. We have been going through financial stress for the past couple years and times like this past week have been especially hard.
I have enjoyed reading your blog and am thankful that you have been writing everything down! So awesome to see how God works!
Heidi SLetmoe
From Clean and Cozy Home