Monday, February 11, 2008

When You Pass Through the Waters

I mentioned before that our pastor is doing a series of messages on the Grace of God. He had a guest speaker come yesterday and he preached a powerful message. His family went through a trial of immense proportions. I will share a link to where you can view the sermon online or listen as soon as it becomes available (probably Wednesday).

The focus of the message was this passage, from Isaiah 43


"...Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name; you are Mine!
"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
And through the rivers, they will not overflow you
When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched,
Nor will the flame burn you.
"For I am the LORD your God,
The Holy One of Israel, your Savior..."

I'm sure I have read this passage before, but it truly touched me in a new way. One thing our speaker pointed out is that this scripture says "WHEN YOU pass through the waters....". It doesn't say IF. This is a certainty of life --- we will encounter trials and difficulties. No one escapes it. But, there is another certainty in the life of a believer. We should not fear when we pass through the river of trouble because He has redeemed us and we are His. What a precious thought! God has staked claim over a believer's life. We can be certain that when we pass through trials He will be with us. We are never alone in our difficulties, in our miseries, and in our pain!

Think about that for a moment. The One and only true God.... the One Who is omnipresent, omnipotent, and omniscient is with us at every single moment. And this is the One Who has claimed you for His own, and promises to love you always. He says that even though He will not spare you from troubles in life, He will not allow them to defeat you. He simply will not allow it! That is a pretty powerful promise.


3 comments:

Pennies In My Pocket said...

I came here to let you know you're the winner of my Quote the Walls $50 gift certificate contest and I was blessed beyond measure with your post!!! Thank you!!

There are instructions on how to contact me with your info in order to claim the prize:

http://penniesinmypocket.blogspot.com/2008/02/winner-50-gift-certificate-to-quote.html

CONGRATS!

~melody~

Jen said...

Congratulations on winning that prize Kelly. How cool! Can't wait to hear what you pick.

I agree that the sermon series has been great. Yesterdays message was really good. This whole series on Grace has been exactly what I have needed at this time in my life.

Kelly said...

Thanks! I was pretty excited! When I entered, I picked out the wall scripture that says everything is possible with God. So funny, because the other contest I won.... same scripture. I think God is tryin' to remind me of something! And it is definitely something I need to have in front of my face these days.